That the following matter be referred to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report by 16 September 2015:
The matter of a popular vote, in the form of a plebiscite or referendum, on the matter of marriage in Australia, with particular reference to:
- an assessment of the content and implications of a question to be put to electors;
- an examination of the resources required to enact such an activity, including the question of the contribution of Commonwealth funding to the 'yes' and 'no' campaigns;
- an assessment of the impact of the timing of such an activity, including the opportunity for it to coincide with a general election;
- whether such an activity is an appropriate method to address matters of equality and human rights;
- the terms of the Marriage Equality Plebiscite Bill 2015 currently before the Senate; and
- any other related matters.