Terms of reference:
- limitations on eligibility to apply for relevant visas;
- waiting times for processing and integrity checking of applications for relevant visas;
- waiting times for the granting of relevant visa;
- cost of applying for relevant visas;
- commitments required for the granting of relevant visas;
- government policy settings regarding relevant visas and the role of family reunion in the Migration Program;
- eligibility for and access to family reunion for people who have sought protection in Australia;
- the suitability and consistency of government policy settings for relevant visas with Australia’s international obligations;
- the budgetary and governmental impacts of relevant visas, including on state, territory and local governments; and
- any other matters deemed relevant by the committee.
It is not the role of the committee to resolve or arbitrate individual visa matters. Complaints about a specific visa matter may be more appropriately directed to the Department of Home Affairs (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/), Administrative Appeals Tribunal (https://www.aat.gov.au/), or Commonwealth Ombudsman (https://www.ombudsman.gov.au/).
The committee may decide not to accept or not to publish material that is not relevant to the inquiry's terms of reference or which reflects adversely on others.
Please note that all documents sent to the inquiry become committee documents upon receipt, and are only made public following a decision of the committee.