On 5 December 2018, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 13 August 2019.
Submissions should be received by 5 March 2019.
The policy, regulatory, taxation, administrative and funding priorities for Australian shipping, with particular reference to:
- new investment in Australian ships and building a maritime cluster in Australia;
- the establishment of an efficient and commercially-oriented coastal ship licensing system and foreign crew visa system;
- the interaction with other modes of freight transport, non-freight shipping and government shipping;
- maritime security, including fuel security and foreign ship and crew standards;
- environmental sustainability;
- workforce development and the seafarer training system;
- port infrastructure, port services and port fees and charges; and
- any related matters.