On 9 November 2020, the Senate moved that the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 31 March 2021.
On 17 February 2021, the Senate granted an extension of time to report until 13 May 2021. It was further agreed that the Committee table an interim report on or before 18 March 2021.
The future of Australia’s aviation sector, in the context of COVID-19 and conditions post-pandemic, having particular regard to:
- the importance of Australia’s aviation sector in supporting the economic and social wellbeing of all Australians;
- the immediate and long-term impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic response on all aspects of the Australian aviation sector;
- the immediate and long-term impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic response on all sectors that rely on aviation (e.g. tourism);
- the adequacy of government industry support and procurement and programs for the social and economic well-being of workers for all sections of the aviation industry to survive the downturn caused by the pandemic;
- the immediate and long-term employment landscape within Australia’s aviation sector;
- what policy and practical measures would be required to assist the industry to recover in the medium term; and
- any related matters.
Submissions close on 18 December 2020.