On the 18 October 2023, the following matter was referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 18 April 2024.
- the expected costs and impacts, if red imported fire ants are able to spread across Australia, on human health, social amenity, agriculture, the environment, infrastructure and regional workers;
- an assessment of the current and any proposed fire ant response plans for achieving the eradication of red imported fire ants;
- an evaluation of funding provided for the current or any proposed fire ant response plans;
- the effectiveness of eradication efforts and the spread of fire ants;
- learnings of Varroa mite in managing red imported fire ants; and
- any other related matters
Submissions closed on 01 December 2023.
On the 29 November 2023, the committee agreed to extend the submission's closing date to 29 January 2024.