On 14 November 2019, the Senate moved that the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 18 June 2020.
On 15 May 2020, the Senate granted an extension of time to report until 7 October 2020.
On 30 September 2020, the Senate granted a further extension of time to report until 11 February 2021.
On 5 February 2021, the Senate granted a further extension of time to report until 21 October 2021.
Submissions close on 14 February 2020.
The Federal Government’s response to the drought, and the adequacy and appropriateness of policies and measures to support farmers, regional communities and the Australian economy, with particular reference to:
- loans and financial support;
- water availability, infrastructure, agreement and supply measures;
- various market impacts of the measures;
- interaction with existing legislative and regulatory instruments across jurisdictions;
- the response to the Drought Coordinator’s report;
- preparedness for the current drought and the capacity of the Australian Government to prepare for future drought; and
- any other related matters.