On 7 December 2020, the Senate moved that the following matter be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 24 June 2021.
The fisheries quota system and examining whether the current ‘managed microeconomic system’ established around a set of individual transferable quotas results in good fishing practice, with particular reference to:
- good fishing practice that is ecologically sustainable with an economic dynamic that produces good community outcomes;
- how the current quota system affects community fishers;
- whether the current system disempowers small fishers and benefits large interest groups;
- the enforceability of ecological value on the current system, and the current system's relationship to the health of the fisheries;
- whether the current system results in good fishing practice that is ecologically sustainable and economically dynamic, and produces good community outcomes; and
- any other related matters.
Submissions close on 12 March 2021.