On 16 November 2017, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 30 March 2018.
Submissions should be received by 5 February 2018.
The operation, regulation and funding of air route service delivery to rural, regional and remote communities, with particular reference to:
- social and economic impacts of air route supply and airfare pricing;
- different legal, regulatory, policy and pricing frameworks and practices across the Commonwealth, states and territories;
- how airlines determine fare pricing;
- the determination of airport charges for landing and security fees, aircraft type and customer demand;
- pricing determination, subsidisation and equity of airfares;
- determination of regulated routes and distribution of residents’ fares across regulated routes;
- airline competition within rural and regional routes;
- consistency of aircraft supply and retrieval of passengers by airlines during aircraft maintenance and breakdown;
- all related costs and charges imposed by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority; and
- any related matters.