On 16 November 2017, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 30 March 2018. On 8 February 2018, the Senate agreed to extend the reporting date to 20 September 2018. On 16 August 2018, the Senate agreed to extend the reporting date to 4 December 2018.
Submissions should be received by 5 February 2018.
The operation, regulation and funding of air route service delivery to rural, regional and remote communities, with particular reference to:
- social and economic impacts of air route supply and airfare pricing;
- different legal, regulatory, policy and pricing frameworks and practices across the Commonwealth, states and territories;
- how airlines determine fare pricing;
- the determination of airport charges for landing and security fees, aircraft type and customer demand;
- pricing determination, subsidisation and equity of airfares;
- determination of regulated routes and distribution of residents’ fares across regulated routes;
- airline competition within rural and regional routes;
- consistency of aircraft supply and retrieval of passengers by airlines during aircraft maintenance and breakdown;
- all related costs and charges imposed by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority; and
- any related matters.