On 18 June 2015 the Senate referred the following matter for inquiry and report by 8 April 2016:
The threat of marine plastic pollution in Australia and Australian waters, with particular reference to:
- the review of current research and scientific understanding of plastic pollution in the marine environment;
- sources of marine plastic pollution;
- the impacts of marine plastic pollution, including impacts on species and ecosystems, fisheries, small business, and human health;
- measures and resourcing for mitigation; and
- any other relevant matters.