On 29 March 2023, the Senate referred an inquiry into greenwashing for inquiry and report by 5 December 2023, with the following terms of references:
An inquiry into greenwashing, with particular reference to:
- the environmental and sustainability claims made by companies in industries including energy, vehicles, household products and appliances, food and drink packaging, cosmetics, clothing and footwear;
- the impact of misleading environmental and sustainability claims on consumers;
- domestic and international examples of regulating companies' environmental and sustainability claims;
- advertising standards in relation to environmental and sustainability claims;
- legislative options to protect consumers from green washing in Australia; and
- any other related matters
The closing date for submissions is 8 June 2023.
The committee has agreed to accept late submissions until the 22 June 2023. If you require more time, please contact the secretariat on 02 6277 3526.
On 7 August 2023, the committee was granted an extension of time for the report until 28 June 2024.
About this inquiry:
An inquiry into greenwashing, particularly claims made by companies, the impact of these claims on consumers, regulatory examples, advertising standards, and legislative options to protect consumers.