Section 29 of the Intelligence Services Act 2001 provides for the review and requires the Committee to report by 1 December 2019.
The Committee has resolved to focus on:
- the process of renunciation by conduct or cessation, including the operation of the Citizenship Loss Board
- the legal threshold for a Ministerial decision under section 35A of the Act;
- citizenship loss as a response to the threat environment;
- the extent of the use of the provisions (including details on persons affected by their use);
- comparisons with similar legislation in other countries; and
- unintended consequences flowing from renunciation by conduct or cessation of citizenship (including consequences for relatives and friends of individuals who have lost their citizenship).
The Committee will also examine whether the current oversight and reporting requirements are appropriate.