The Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security is required under Section 29(1)(a) of the Intelligence Services Act 2001, to conduct an annual review of the administration, expenditure and financial statements of the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO), Australian Secret Intelligence Service (ASIS), Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation (AGO), Defence Intelligence Organisation (DIO), the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD) and the Office of National Intelligence (ONI).
For the Committee’s review of the Administration and Expenditure No. 20 of these Australian intelligence agencies, the Committee continues to seek evidence as to:
- each agency's administration and ability to meet its objectives within budget parameters; and
- the health of each agency's financial statements and general administration.
In addition, the Committee has determined that its 2020-21 review will also examine the following areas and is seeking additional information in submissions to address:
- the ongoing impact of COVID-19 on agencies' administration and expenditure;
- business continuity plans in the face of COVID-19 and other operational risks;
- internal staff complaint investigation and resolution mechanisms, as well as agency instigated review for cause processes - triggers, procedures, and support for staff whilst ongoing;
- initiatives in development or underway regarding integration of artificial intelligence and machine learning, alongside traditional human sources, for intelligence production, analysis or other functions;
- shifting operational priorities from emerging threats that alter longer term strategies or capabilities, or appropriation and capital investment.
The Committee requests submissions to the review by Friday, 11 February 2022.
Making a submission
Prospective submitters are advised that any submission to the inquiry must be prepared solely for the inquiry and should not be published prior to being accepted by the Committee. Further information about making a submission to a committee inquiry can be found at www.aph.gov.au/makesubmission.