On 4 July 2019, the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security commenced a review of regulations listing Islamic State-Somalia and re-listing Abu Sayyaf Group, al-Qa’ida, al-Qa’ida in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb, Jabhat Fatah al-Sham and Jemaah Islamiyah as terrorist organisations under the Criminal Code Act 1995.
Section 102.1 of the Criminal Code Act 1995 provides that the Committee may review a regulation which lists an organisation as a terrorist organisation and report its comments and recommendations to each House of the Parliament before the end of the applicable 15 sitting day disallowance period.
Details of the re-listings can be found on the following links:
• Criminal Code (Terrorist Organisation—Abu Sayyaf Group) Regulations 2019
• Criminal Code (Terrorist Organisation—Al-Qa’ida) Regulations 2019
• Criminal Code (Terrorist Organisation—Al-Qa’ida in the Lands of the Islamic Maghreb) Regulations 2019
• Criminal Code (Terrorist Organisation—Jabhat Fatah al‑Sham) Regulations 2019
• Criminal Code (Terrorist Organisation—Jemaah Islamiyah) Regulations 2019
Making a submission
Submissions are requested by 2 August 2019. Further information about making a submission to a parliamentary committee inquiry is available here.
Committee SecretaryParliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and SecurityPO Box 6021Parliament HouseCanberra ACT 2600 Phone: +61 2 6277 2360Fax: +61 2 6277 email@example.com
31 Jul 2019: Canberra
If you require any special arrangements to enable you to participate in the Committee's inquiry, please contact the Committee Secretariat.
Further information regarding accessibility can be found at www.aph.gov.au/Help/Accessibility
House of Representatives