Section 187N of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 provides for the review and requires the Committee to report by 13 April 2020.
The Committee has resolved to focus on the following aspects of the legislation:
- the threshold, scope and proportionality of powers provided for by the Act;
- authorisation processes and decision-making criteria;
- the scope of enforcement provisions and the grant of immunities;
- interaction with intelligence agencies other powers;
- interaction with foreign laws, including the United States’ Clarifying Lawful Overseas Use of Data Act;
- impact on industry and competitiveness; and
- reporting obligations and oversight measures.