On 2 March 2015, the Senate referred the following matters to the Economics Reference Committee for inquiry and report by 14 May 2015.
- the role, importance, and overall performance of cooperative, mutual and member-owned firms in the Australian economy;
- the operations of cooperatives and mutuals in the Australian economy, with particular reference to:
- economic contribution,
- current barriers to innovation, growth, and free competition,
- the impact of current regulations, and
- comparisons between mutual ownership and private sale of publicly held assets and services; and
- any related matters.