On 5 December 2019, the Senate resolved to establish a Select Committee on Foreign Interference through Social Media to inquire into and report on the risk posed to Australia’s democracy by foreign interference through social media, with particular reference to:
- use of social media for purposes that undermine Australia’s democracy and values, including the spread of misinformation;
- responses to mitigate the risk posed to Australia’s democracy and values, including by the Australian Government and social media platforms;
- international policy responses to cyber-enabled foreign interference and misinformation;
- the extent of compliance with Australian laws; and
- any related matters.
The resolution establishing the committee is available in the Journals of the Senate No. 35
– Thursday 5 December 2019.