The framework surrounding the prevention, investigation and prosecution of industrial deaths in Australia, with particular reference to:
- the effectiveness and extent of the harmonisation of workplace safety legislation between the states, territories and Commonwealth;
- jurisdictional issues surrounding workplace investigations which cross state and territory boundaries;
- issues relating to reporting, monitoring and chains of responsibility between states, territories and the Commonwealth;
- safety implications relating to the increased use of temporary and labour hire workers;
- the role of employers and unions in creating a safe-work culture;
- the effectiveness of penalties in situations where an employer has been convicted of an offence relating to a serious accident or death; and
- any other related matters.