On 14 November 2013, the Senate referred the following matters to the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 11 December 2013:
- the overall performance, importance and role of Australia Post in Australian communities, and the challenges it faces in the immediate and longer term;
- the operations of Australia Post in relation to Licensed Post Offices (LPOs), with particular reference to:
- the importance and role of the LPO network in the Australian postal system, with particular reference to regional and remote areas,
- the licensing and trading conditions applicable to LPOs, including the Community Service Obligations, and any effects these may have on operating an LPO business, and
- marketing, retail and trading arrangements between Australia Post and LPOs and other entities; and
- any related matters.
The closing date for submissions is 25 November 2013.
On 11 December 2013, the Senate granted an extension to the reporting date until 31 March 2014.
On 27 March 2014, the Senate granted a further extension of time to report until 27 August 2014.
On 27 August 2014, the Senate granted a further extension of time to report until 24 September 2014.