On 14 November 2013, the Senate referred the following matters to the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 11 December 2013:
- the overall performance, importance and role of Australia Post in Australian communities, and the challenges it faces in the immediate and longer term;
- the operations of Australia Post in relation to Licensed Post Offices (LPOs), with particular reference to:
- the importance and role of the LPO network in the Australian postal system, with particular reference to regional and remote areas,
- the licensing and trading conditions applicable to LPOs, including the Community Service Obligations, and any effects these may have on operating an LPO business, and
- marketing, retail and trading arrangements between Australia Post and LPOs and other entities; and
- any related matters.
The closing date for submissions is 25 November 2013. On 11 December 2013, the Senate granted an extension to the reporting date until 31 March 2014.