On 19 October 2017 the Senate established the Select Committee on the Future of Work and Workers to inquire and report on the impact of technological and other change on the future of work and workers in Australia, with particular reference to:
- the future earnings, job security, employment status and working patterns of Australians;
- the different impact of that change on Australians, particularly on regional Australians, depending on their demographic and geographic characteristics;
- the wider effects of that change on inequality, the economy, government and society;
- the adequacy of Australia’s laws, including industrial relations laws and regulations, policies and institutions to prepare Australians for that change;
- international efforts to address that change; and
- any related matters.