That a select committee, to be known as the Select Committee on the Aboriginal Flag, be established to inquire into and report on current and former copyright and licensing arrangements for the Aboriginal flag design, with particular reference to:
- who benefits from payments for the use of the Aboriginal Flag design and the impact on Aboriginal organisations, Aboriginal communities and the broader Australian community of the current copyright and licensing arrangements;
- options available to the Government to enable the Aboriginal Flag design to be freely used by the Australian community, including:
- negotiated outcomes with licence and/or copyright holders:
- the compulsory acquisition of licences and/or copyright,
- ways to protect the rights and interests of the flag’s legally recognised creator Mr Harold Thomas; and
- any other matters relevant to the enduring and fair use of the Aboriginal Flag design by the Aboriginal and Australian community.
The resolution establishing the committee is available in the Journals of the Senate No. 66 - Wednesday, 3 September 2020