The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Economics will inquire into and report on the implications of common ownership and capital concentration in Australia. The committee will inquire into matters relating to:
- The extent of capital concentration and common ownership of public companies, and its likely future trajectory in Australia;
- The influence of capital concentration and common ownership on markets, including on investment decisions, market behaviour, competition and any other relevant factors;
- The changing influence between individual investors and small funds, compared to larger funds, as a result of capital concentration and common ownership;
- Any related consequences that flow from capital concentration and common ownership, including international experiences;
- The role of regulators in responding to these consequences; and
- Policy responses to address these consequences, including by government, regulators and public companies.
Treasurer’s Letter of Referral