Resolution establishing the committee
That a select committee, to be known as the Select Committee into the Abbott Government‘s Budget Cuts, be established to inquire into the effect of cuts or changes in the Commonwealth budget, with interim reports as the committee sees fit and a final report on or before 20 June 2016, with particular reference to:
- any reductions in access to services provided by the Commonwealth;
- the provision of other services, programs or benefits provided by the Government affected by the budget;
- Commonwealth – state relations and the impact of decreased Commonwealth investment on service delivery by the states;
- the fairness and efficiency of revenue raising;
- the structural budget balance over the forward estimates and the next 10 years;
- the reduced investment in scientific research and infrastructure and its impact on future productivity;
- public sector job cuts;
- the impact of the budget on retirement incomes and pensions;
- intergenerational mobility;
- the impact of the budget on young people and students;
- the impact of the budget on households; and
- other matters the committee considers relevant.
As per Terms of Reference c, e, f and h, the committee will investigate infrastructure financing and expenditure by the Australian government and its effect on the broader economy, including:
- current trends in the levels of public infrastructure and private capital investment;
- changes to productivity and well-being projected to result from public infrastructure investment;
- long-term economic impact of public infrastructure investment, including private sector investment that leverages off public infrastructure provision;
- capacity for the budget to absorb debt to fund infrastructure;
- potential funding mechanisms for public infrastructure investment, including infrastructure bonds and sovereign wealth funds; and
- potential funding sources for public infrastructure investment, including superannuation funds.
The committee's focus is on infrastructure financing rather than particular infrastructure projects.
Submissions are due by 3 December 2015.