Bauxite resources near Aurukun in Cape York
24 March 2016
© Commonwealth of Australia 2016
View the report as a single document - (PDF 131KB)
Senate Economics References Committee
24 March 2016
Senator the Hon Stephen Parry
President of the Senate
Canberra ACT 2600
Dear Mr President
Pursuant to Senate standing order 38(7), I present to you an interim report of the Economics References Committee's inquiry into bauxite resources near Aurukun in Cape York.
On 24 November 2015, the Senate referred the matter of the development of bauxite resources near Aurukun in Cape York to the Senate Economics References Committee for inquiry and report by 31 March 2016.
The terms of reference for the inquiry are:
The development of the bauxite resources near Aurukun in Cape York, with particular reference to:
- the economic development of the bauxite resources near Aurukun in Cape York;
- any issues relating to native title rights and interests on the land on which these resources are located;
- the process for the finalisation of an exclusive Mineral Development Licence Application on this land;
- any opportunities for traditional owners to receive ongoing benefit from the resources located on this land; and
- any other related matter.
Conduct of the inquiry and submissions
The committee advertised the inquiry on its website. In addition, the committee wrote to relevant stakeholders and interested parties drawing attention to the inquiry and inviting them to make submissions by 15 February 2016. The committee has received 18 submissions to date.
The committee is intending to hold public hearings in Cairns, Aurukun and Brisbane, and consequently has agreed to present this report as an interim measure with the intention of tabling its final report on or before 10 June 2016.
Senator Chris Ketter