On 21 March 2018, the Senate referred the following matter to the Senate Community Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
- the science of mitochondrial donation and its ability to prevent transmission of mitochondrial disease;
- the safety and efficacy of these techniques, as well as ethical considerations;
- the status of these techniques elsewhere in the world and their relevance to Australian families;
- the current impact of mitochondrial disease on Australian families and the healthcare sector;
- consideration of changes to legal and ethical frameworks that would be required if mitochondrial donation was to be introduced in Australia;
- the value and impact of introducing mitochondrial donation in Australia; and
- other related matters.
Submissions were sought by 11 May 2018. The reporting date is 19 June 2018. On 19 June 2018, the Senate granted an extension of time for reporting until 27 June 2018.