On 29 November 2016, the Senate referred the following matter to the Senate Community Affairs References Committee for inquiry and report:
The delivery of outcomes under the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020 to build inclusive and accessible communities.
The terms of reference are:
- the planning, design, management, and regulation of:
- the built and natural environment, including commercial premises, housing, public spaces and amenities,
- transport services and infrastructure, and
- communication and information systems, including Australian electronic media and the emerging Internet of things;
- potential barriers to progress or innovation and how these might be addressed;
- the impact of restricted access for people with disability on inclusion and participation in economic, cultural, social, civil and political life; and
- any other related matters.
Submissions were sought by 28 April 2017. The reporting date is 13 September 2017. On 7 September 2017, the Senate granted an extension of time for reporting until 29 November 2017.