On 17 August 2017, the Senate established the Select Committee into the Political Influence of Donations to inquire into and report on the following matters:
- the level of influence that political donations exert over the public policy decisions of political parties, Members of Parliament and Government administration;
- the motivations and reasons why entities give donations to political parties and political candidates;
- the use of shell companies, trusts and other vehicles to obscure the original source of political donations;
- how to improve the integrity of political decision-making through our political donations regime and the public funding of elections;
- any other related matters.
The closing date for submissions is 9 October 2017.
On 7 September 2017, the Senate agreed to amend the committee resolution to extend the time to report to 7 December 2017.
On 28 March 2018, the Senate agreed that the time for the presentation of the report of the committee be extended to 10 May 2018.