On 10 May 2018, the Senate resolved that the Select Committee into the obesity epidemic in Australia be established on 16 May 2018.
The closing date for submissions is 6 July 2018.
The committee report is expected to table in the Senate after 4.30pm today.
The Select Committee into the obesity epidemic in Australia, established on 16 May 2018 to inquire into and report on 26 November 2018, on the following matters:
- The prevalence of overweight and obesity among children in Australia and changes in these rates over time;
- The causes of the rise in overweight and obesity in Australia;
- The short and long-term harm to health associated with obesity, particularly in children in Australia;
- The short and long-term economic burden of obesity, particularly related to obesity in children in Australia;
- The effectiveness of existing policies and programs introduced by Australian governments to improve diets and prevent childhood obesity;
- Evidence-based measures and interventions to prevent and reverse childhood obesity, including experiences from overseas jurisdictions;
- The role of the food industry in contributing to poor diets and childhood obesity in Australia; and
- any other related matters.