On 18 March 2021 the Senate agreed:
That the resolution of appointment of the Select Committee on Financial Technology and Regulatory Technology be amended as follows:
- The committee be called the Select Committee on Australia as a Technology and Financial Centre.
- The following additional matters be referred to the committee:
- the size and scope of the opportunity for Australian consumers and business from Australia growing into a stronger technology and finance centre;
- the flow-on employment and economic benefits which accrue to finance and technology centres;
- barriers to the uptake of new technologies in the financial sector;
- new opportunities for Australia as a technology and finance centre arising from the COVID-19 pandemic;
- benchmarking of comparable global regimes with Australia;
- the impact of corporate law restraining new investment in Australia;
- the policy environment facing neo-banks;
- opportunities and risks in the digital asset and cryptocurrency sector; and
- any related matters.
- That the committee present its final report on or before 30 October 2021.
The select committee concluded its inquiry when it tabled its final report on 20 October 2021.