As part of the committee’s role to inquire into the implementation, performance and governance of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS), the committee will inquire and report on the operation of the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission since it commenced operation on 1 July 2018, with particular reference to:
- The monitoring, investigation and enforcement powers available to the Commission, and how those powers are exercised in practice;
- The effectiveness of the Commission in responding to concerns, complaints and reportable incidents – including allegations of abuse and neglect of NDIS participants;
- The adequacy and effectiveness of the NDIS Code of Conduct and the NDIS Practice Standards;
- The adequacy and effectiveness of provider registration and worker screening arrangements, including the level of transparency and public access to information regarding the decisions and actions taken by the Commission.
- The effectiveness of communication and engagement between the Commission and state and territory authorities;
- The human and financial resources available to the Commission, and whether these resources are adequate for the Commission to properly execute its functions;
- Management of the transition period, including impacts on other commonwealth and state‑based oversight, safeguarding, and community engagement programs; and
- Any related matters.
Submission closing date is Friday, 31 July 2020.