Pursuant to the committee's duties set out in section 215 of the Law Enforcement Integrity Commissioner Act 2006
, the committee will inquire into the jurisdiction of the Australian Commission for Law Enforcement Integrity (ACLEI).
In particular, the committee will consider:
- the adequacy of ACLEI's current jurisdiction;
- the desirability and feasibility of extending ACLEI's jurisdiction to include the entire Department of Agriculture or additional parts of that department;
- in response to a recommendation of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Law Enforcement, the desirability and feasibility of extending ACLEI's jurisdiction to include:
- the Australian Securities and Investments Commission;
- the Attorney-General's Department; and
- the Australian Taxation Office;
- the desirability and feasibility of extending ACLEI's jurisdiction to include the Department of Immigration and Border Protection;
- whether an activity-based approach to ACLEI's jurisdiction would be preferable to the current jurisdiction-based approach;
- the most appropriate method of implementing any change to ACLEI's jurisdiction including any budgetary implications; and
- any relevant matters.