On 26 June 2014, the following matter was referred to the Finance and Public Administration References Committee for inquiry and report by the 27 October 2014:
- the prevalence and impact of domestic violence in Australia as it affects all Australians and, in particular, as it affects:
- women living with a disability, and
- women from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds;
- the factors contributing to the present levels of domestic violence;
- the adequacy of policy and community responses to domestic violence;
- the effects of policy decisions regarding housing, legal services, and women‘s economic independence on the ability of women to escape domestic violence;
- how the Federal Government can best support, contribute to and drive the social, cultural and behavioural shifts required to eliminate violence against women and their children; and
- any other related matters.
Submissions closing date is 31 July 2014. The reporting date is 27 October 2014. On 26 August 2014, the Senate granted an extension of time for reporting until 2 March 2015.
The committee will not be considering or examining any material that relates solely to personal cases or grievances. The committee process is not a forum to resolve these issues but to explore the adequacy of policy responses and the effects of policy settings regarding housing, legal services and women’s economic independence on their ability to escape violence.