At the dissolution of the Senate and the House of Representatives on 9 May 2016 for a general election on 2 July 2016, the parliamentary committees of the 44th Parliament ceased to exist. Therefore inquiries that were not completed have lapsed and submissions cannot be received. However, information about the inquiries is still available on this website.
Information on committees for the 45th Parliament will be presented here as soon as it is available.
On 25 November 2015, the following matter was referred to the Finance and Public Administration References Committee for inquiry and report by the 24 August 2016:
Domestic violence and gender inequality, with particular reference to:
- the role of gender inequality in all spheres of life in contributing to the prevalence of domestic violence;
- the role of gender stereotypes in contributing to cultural conditions which support domestic violence, including, but not limited to, messages conveyed to children and young people in:
- the marketing of toys and other products,
- education, and
- the role of government initiatives at every level in addressing the underlying causes of domestic violence, including the commitments under, or related to, the National Plan to Reduce Violence against Women and their Children; and
- any other related matters.
Submission closing date is 31 March 2016. The reporting date is 24 August 2016.
On 20 August 2015 the committee completed a broad-ranging inquiry into domestic violence. The committee does not intend to cover the same ground as the previous inquiry but to focus on gender inequality as set out in the terms of reference.