On 9 November 2016, the following matter was referred to the Finance and Public Administration References Committee for inquiry and report by 30 March 2017:
Gender segregation in the workplace and its impact on women's economic equality, with particular reference to:
- the nature and extent of industrial and occupational gender segregation in Australian workplaces relative to comparable jurisdictions, including gender segregation in tertiary education courses;
- factors driving industrial and occupational gender segregation in the Australian context;
- economic consequences of gender segregation for women, including the contribution of industrial and occupational gender segregation to the gender pay gap;
- approaches to addressing gender segregation as it relates to economic inequality and the gender pay gap in comparable jurisdictions; and
- remedies appropriate for Australia, including but not limited to:
- measures to encourage women’s participation in male - dominated occupations and industries,
- measures to professionalise and improve conditions in female - dominated occupations and industries, and
- measures to promote pay equity.
Submission closing date is 10 February 2017. The reporting date is 30 March 2016.