On 17 July 2014, the Committee resolved to inquire into and report on the operations of the Parliamentary Budget Office (PBO), with specific regard to:
- PBO statutory information gathering powers and access to information, including the Contingency Reserve
- PBO reporting of Government progress against a new set of fiscal rules, as recommended by the National Commission of Audit
- PBO reporting against medium-term projections of fiscal outlook beyond the forward estimates
- best practice for independent fiscal institutions/ as identified by the International Monetary Fund
- PBO implementation of the recommendation from Australian National Audit Office Report No. 36 (2013-14), and
- the need for any legislative change.