Pursuant to the committee's functions set out in paragraph 7(1)(g) of the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Law Enforcement Act 2010, the committee will examine the criminal activities, practices and methods involved in the importation, manufacture, distribution and use of methamphetamine and its chemical precursors, including crystal methamphetamine (ice) and its impact on Australian society.
In particular, the committee will examine:
- the role of Commonwealth law enforcement agencies in responding to the importation, manufacture, distribution and use of methamphetamine and its chemical precursors;
- the adequacy of Commonwealth law enforcement resources for the detection, investigation and prosecution of criminal activities involving the importation, manufacture, distribution and use of methamphetamine and its chemical precursors;
- the effectiveness of collaborative arrangements for Commonwealth law enforcement agencies with their regional and international counterparts to minimise the impact of methamphetamine on Australian society;
- the involvement of organised crime including international organised crime and outlaw motorcycle gangs in methamphetamine related criminal activities;
- the nature, prevalence and culture of methamphetamine use in Australia, including in indigenous, regional and non-English speaking communities;
- strategies to reduce the high demand for methamphetamines in Australia; and
- other related issues.