Selection of Bills Committee
Role of the Committee
Standing order 24A provides for the committee to consider all bills introduced into the Senate or received from the House of Representatives, except bills which contain no provisions other than provisions appropriating revenue or money, and to report:
- in respect of each such bill, whether the bill should be referred to a legislative and general purpose standing committee; and
- in respect of each bill recommended for referral to a standing committee:
- the standing committee to which the bill should be referred,
- the stage in the consideration of the bill at which it should be referred to the standing committee, and
- the day which should be fixed for the standing committee to report on the bill.
The committee, which reports to the Senate each sitting week, may also refer bills to select committees.