- The committee met in private session on Wednesday, 6 September 2023 at 6.38 pm.
- The committee recommends that—
- the Electoral Legislation Amendment (Fairer Contracts and Grants) Bill 2023 be referred immediately to the Finance and Public Administration Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 4 March 2024 (see appendix 1 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- the provisions of the Fair Work Legislation Amendment (Closing Loopholes) Bill 2023 be referred immediately to the Education and Employment Legislation Committee but was unable to reach agreement on a reporting date (see appendix 2 for a statement of reasons for referral);
- contingent upon introduction in the House of Representatives, the provisions of the Statutory Declarations Amendment Bill 2023 be referred immediately to the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Legislation Committee for inquiry and report by 18 October 2023 (see appendix 3 for a statement of reasons for referral); and
- the provisions of the Water Amendment (Restoring Our Rivers) Bill 2023 be referred immediately to the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee but was unable to reach agreement on a reporting date (see appendix 4 for a statement of reasons for referral).
- The committee recommends that the following bills not be referred to committees:
- Counter-Terrorism and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2023
- Social Services and Other Legislation Amendment (Australia's Engagement in the Pacific) Bill 2023.
- The committee deferred consideration of the following bills to its next meeting:
- Broadcasting Services Amendment (Ban on Gambling Advertisements During Live Sport) Bill 2023
- Criminal Code Amendment (Inciting Illegal Disruptive Activities) Bill 2023
- Electoral Legislation Amendment (Lowering the Voting Age) Bill 2023
- Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Amendment (Regional Forest Agreements) Bill 2020
- Fair Work Amendment (Right to Disconnect) Bill 2023 [No. 2]
- Freeze on Rent and Rate Increases Bill 2023
- Legalising Cannabis Bill 2023
- Members of Parliament (Staff) Amendment Bill 2023
- Migration Amendment (Overseas Organ Transplant Disclosure and Other Measures) Bill 2023
- Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage Amendment (Domestic Reserve) Bill 2023
- Parliamentary Workplace Support Service Bill 2023
Parliamentary Workplace Support Service (Consequential Amendments and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2023
- Productivity Commission Amendment (Electricity Reporting) Bill 2023
- Protecting the Spirit of Sea Country Bill 2023
- Royal Commissions Amendment (Private Sessions) Bill 2023
- Social Security Amendment (Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment) Bill 2023.
7 September 2023
At the end of the motion, add:
"and, in respect of the provisions of the Fair Work Legislation Amendment (Closing Loopholes) Bill 2023, the Education and Employment Legislation Committee report by 1 February 2024".
At the end of the motion, add: “and, in respect of the Water Amendment (Restoring Our Rivers) Bill 2023, the Environment and Communications Legislation Committee report on 8 November 2023.”.
- Senator Anne Urquhart (Government Whip, Chair)
- Senator Wendy Askew (Opposition Whip)
- Senator Ross Cadell (The Nationals Whip)
- Senator Pauline Hanson (Pauline Hanson's One Nation Whip)
- Senator Nick McKim (Australian Greens Whip)
- Senator Ralph Babet
- Senator the Hon. Anthony Chisholm
- Senator the Hon. Katy Gallagher
- Senator Matt O'Sullivan
- Senator David Pocock
- Senator Paul Scarr
- Senator Lidia Thorpe
- Senator Tammy Tyrrell
Secretary: Tim Bryant
02 6277 3020