The Joint Standing Committee on Migration shall inquire into and report on the breadth of migrant settlement strategies and migration settings– including for skilled and humanitarian migrants – in regional Australia, with reference to:
- National and international best practice strategies to encourage people to settle and stay in regional areas;
- Strategies to develop regional skilled migration;
- Strategies to develop regional humanitarian migration;
- Key local, state and federal initiatives for successful regional settlement outcomes;
- Local volunteers, employers and community organisations and their role in facilitating regional settlement;
- Relevant migration policy, including administration and state specific migration mechanisms;
- Related infrastructure matters; and
- Any other related matter.
The Committee shall give particular consideration to how communities and settlement services can best assist migrants to gain successful employment outcomes in regional Australia, including local work experience opportunities, skills certification and training, knowledge of Australian workforce regulations, accommodation and travel to and from the workplace.