Role of the Committee
On 14 September 2016, pursuant to the agreement of the House of Representatives and the Senate, a Joint Standing Committee was established to inquire into and report on the rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN).
Until the NBN is declared built and fully operational, the committee is to report to each House of the Parliament annually on:
- rollout progress with particular regard to the NBN Co Limited Statement of Expectations issued by Shareholder Ministers on 24 August 2016;
- utilisation of the NBN in connected localities in both metropolitan and regional areas, and the identification of opportunities to enhance economic and social benefits;
- Australia's comparative global position with regard to residential broadband infrastructure; particularly relative to other large, developed economies;
- NBN activation rates, user demand, usage patterns and trends, and any identified impediments to the take-up of NBN services;
- any market, industry, or regulatory characteristics that may impede the efficient and cost-effective rollout of the NBN; and
- any other matter pertaining to the NBN rollout that the committee considers relevant.