Applications for the 2024 Summer Research Scholarship are now closed.
When offered, scholars work alongside specialist researchers in the Parliamentary Library in Canberra for a period of six weeks to produce a report on a topic of relevance to the Library’s research program:
Why should I apply?
The Parliamentary Library is a unique research environment and the Summer Research Scholarship allows scholars to understand and work within this important national institution. The scholarship also gives recipients the opportunity to:
- build research expertise
- contribute to scholarship on the Parliament and its work
- receive training and access the Library’s specialist collections and databases
- interact with subject-matter experts and
- be guided by a mentor who will provide advice during the scholarship.
Elements of the scholarship
Recipients of the Parliamentary Library Summer Research Scholarship:
- are based in the Parliamentary Library for a period of six weeks
- present a short work-in-progress seminar and
- produce a research report of 5,000–8,000 words
Summer Research Scholars also participate in a number of activities during the scholarship period, including:
- an induction program where scholars learn about the role of the Parliamentary Library, its place in the parliamentary environment, and the purpose and style of its research publications
- research section meetings as appropriate and other Library activities
- functions with summer research scholars from the National Library of Australia and the Australian War Memorial and
- a guided tour of Parliament House.
Upon successful completion of the scholarship, an honorarium of $1,800 is awarded.
Past scholarship research
scholar reports from previous years
Recipients of the Australian Parliamentary Library Summer Research Scholarship