Appendix B: table of relevant immigration visa classes

Visa type Subclass Subclass Number Eligibility
Student (Temporary) Independent ELICOS 570 For ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  Schools 571 For primary school; secondary school; and approved secondary exchange programs
  Vocational education and training 572 For Certificate I, II, III, and IV; diploma; advanced diploma
  Higher education 573 Bachelor degree; associate degree; graduate certificate; graduate diploma; and Masters by coursework
  Postgraduate research 574 For Masters by research degree and Doctoral degrees
  Non-award 575 For enabling courses; non-award foundation studies; other full-time courses or components of courses not leading to an Australian award
  Foreign Affairs or Defence 576 For full-time courses of all types undertaken by Foreign Affairs or Defence students sponsored by the Australian Government
  Student guardian 580 Provides for certain persons to reside with a student in Australia, where that student requires a guardian
Graduate Skilled (Temporary) Temporary graduate 485 This temporary visa enables former overseas students to complete a post-graduate professional year, gain skilled work experience or improve their English skills. To be eligible, applicants need to have recently completed an Australian degree, diploma or trade qualification as a result of at least 2 years study.


For copyright reasons some linked items are only available to members of Parliament.

© Commonwealth of Australia

Creative commons logo

Creative Commons

With the exception of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, and to the extent that copyright subsists in a third party, this publication, its logo and front page design are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia licence.

In essence, you are free to copy and communicate this work in its current form for all non-commercial purposes, as long as you attribute the work to the author and abide by the other licence terms. The work cannot be adapted or modified in any way. Content from this publication should be attributed in the following way: Author(s), Title of publication, Series Name and No, Publisher, Date.

To the extent that copyright subsists in third party quotes it remains with the original owner and permission may be required to reuse the material.

Inquiries regarding the licence and any use of the publication are welcome to

This work has been prepared to support the work of the Australian Parliament using information available at the time of production. The views expressed do not reflect an official position of the Parliamentary Library, nor do they constitute professional legal opinion.

Any concerns or complaints should be directed to the Parliamentary Librarian. Parliamentary Library staff are available to discuss the contents of publications with Senators and Members and their staff. To access this service, clients may contact the author or the Library‘s Central Entry Point for referral.