Updated 3 October 2014
PDF version [288KB]
Carol Ey and Jonathon Guppy
Social Policy Section
This Quick Guide provides key internet links to information about:
- The Australian Qualifications Framework is the national policy for regulated qualifications in Australian education and training. It incorporates the qualifications from each education and training sector into a single comprehensive national qualifications framework.
- Study Assist has information on Australian Government financial assistance available to tertiary education students.
- Higher Education Loan Program (HELP): a quick guide provides an overview of HELP loans available to tertiary students.
Vocational education and training (VET)
- The Department of Industry has responsibility for VET and its website provides access to information about Australian Government VET policies and programs.
- The Annual National Report of the Australian Vocational Education and Training System includes an overview of the national VET system, an analysis of the system’s performance and key statistics, and a summary of Australian, state and territory government developments. The latest edition is 2011.
- The annual Report on Government Services, published by the Productivity Commission, provides an overview of the VET system, key statistics and funding information.
- The Intergovernmental Agreement on Federal Financial Relations (IGA), agreed to by the Council of Australian Governments, provides for the Australian Government’s National Skills and Workforce Development Specific Purpose Payment (SPP).
- The National Agreement for Skills and Workforce Development (NASWD), formulated as part of the IGA, defines the objectives, outcomes, outputs and performance measures and the roles and responsibilities that guide the Australian and the state and territory governments in the delivery of services across the skills and workforce development sector.
- The annual National Agreement for Skills and Workforce Development: performance report is a report on governments' progress against the agreed objectives and outcomes of the NASWD.
- There are two National Partnerships associated with the NAWSD—the National Partnership Agreement on Skills Reform and the National Partnership Agreement on Youth Attainment and Transitions.
- The Australian Skills Quality Authority is the national regulator for Australia’s vocational education and training sector.
- training.gov.au is the official national register of information on training packages, qualifications, courses, units of competency and Registered Training Organisations.
- Australian Apprenticeships provides information on the Australian Government’s programs to support apprenticeships and traineeships.
- My Skills has a range of information about training options and providers, and includes statistics on student enrolments and outcomes.
State and territory government websites
Australian Capital Territory
International students in Australia
Adult and community education
© Commonwealth of Australia
With the exception of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms, and to the extent that copyright subsists in a third party, this publication, its logo and front page design are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia licence.