About this report
The Department of the House of Representatives provides services that allow the House to fulfil its role as a representative and legislative body of the Australian Parliament.
This annual report details our activities during the 2009–10 financial year.
- The overviews section includes a report by the Clerk of the House of Representatives, Bernard Wright, who is also the chief executive of our department. A departmental overview describes our purpose, role, structure and outputs.
- The performance section describes the main activities of our five program components, and measures our performance against our targets during the year.
- The management and accountability section spells out our approach to corporate governance, the management of our people and assets, and our obligations under various laws. This section also provides an outlook on the next financial year.
- The appendixes give detailed information about our work for the House, its committees and visitors, and about our publications and our staffing.
- The financial statements show how we spent the money allocated to us by the Parliament.
Finally, to aid in navigating and interpreting the report, there is a list of abbreviations and acronyms and a general index.
Inquiries and feedback about this report
The department welcomes your comments on this report. To make a comment, or to request more information, please contact:
Department of the House of Representatives
Canberra Act 2600
Telephone: +61 2 6277 4444
Fax: +61 2 6277 2006
© Commonwealth of Australia 2010
This work is copyright. Apart from any use as permitted under the Copyright Act 1968, no part may be reproduced by any process without prior written permission from the Commonwealth. Requests and inquiries concerning reproduction and rights should be addressed to the Commonwealth Copyright Administration, Attorney General’s Department, Robert Garran Offices, National Circuit, Canberra ACT 2600 or posted at www.ag.gov.au/cca
Produced by: Department of the House of Representatives
Editing and indexing by: Wilton Hanford Hanover
Design: Glen Martin
Printed by: CanPrint Communications
Online version by: Department of the House of Representatives, Information Systems and Publishing
Unless otherwise acknowledged, all photographs in this report were taken by staff of the Department of the House of Representatives.