On 2 September 2014, the Senate moved that the following matters be referred to the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee for inquiry and report by 24 November 2014.
The industry structures and systems governing the imposition of and disbursement of marketing and research and development (R&D) levies in the agricultural sector, with particular reference to:
- an audit of reports, inquiries and reviews relevant to this inquiry;
- the basis on which levies are imposed, collected and used;
- competing pressures for finite R&D funds;
- the opportunities levy payers have to influence the investment of the levies;
- the opportunities levy payers have to approve and reapprove the imposition of levies;
- the transformation of R&D and marketing into increased returns at the farm gate, including the effectiveness of extension systems;
- collaboration on research to benefit multiple industry and research sectors;
- industry governance arrangements, consultation and reporting frameworks; and
- any other related matter.