- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Corio, Victoria, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001 and 2004. Defeated at general elections 2007.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Industry, Science and Technology from 12.5.93 to 31.8.98; Transport, Communications and Infrastructure from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96; Long Term Strategies from 26.5.93 to 29.1.96; Primary Industries, Resources and Rural and Regional Affairs from 17.11.97 to 31.8.98; Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 2.12.04 to 17.10.07.
- House of Representatives Select: Recent Australian Bushfires from 27.3.03 to 5.11.03.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Official Delegation to 15th AIPO General Assembly and bilateral visits, Singapore, Philippines and Indonesia, September-October 1994.
- Attended 50th Anniversary of Indonesian Independence, August 1995.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to OECD Paris, Kenya, Ethiopia and Eritrea, June-July 1996.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia, November 2003.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Malaysia and Japan, April 2006.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition from 20.3.96 to 20.10.98; and Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Primary Industries from 27.3.97 to 20.10.98; Spokesperson on Northern Australia from 26.8.97 to 20.10.98.
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 20.10.98. Shadow Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry from 20.10.98 to 25.11.01; Shadow Minister for Regional Services, Territories and Local Government from 25.11.01 to 23.8.02; Shadow Minister for Regional Services, Territories, Local Government and Tourism from 23.8.02 to 2.7.03; Shadow Minister for Local Government and Housing from 2.7.03 to 8.12.03; Shadow Minister for Agriculture and Fisheries from 8.12.03 to 7.12.06.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP from 1976.
- Delegate, ALP State and Country Conferences.
- President, ALP Colac Branch 1985, 1987 and 1988.
- Born 2.12.1947 at Colac, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BEc (Monash), DipEd (UNE).
- Electorate officer to the Minister for Industry, Technology and Commerce, Senator the Hon. JN Button 1990-93.
- High school teacher.
Location: southern Victoria; it includes the centres of Anakie, Avalon, Batesford, Bell Park, Bell Post Hill, Breakwater, Clifton Springs, Corio, Curlewis, Drysdale, Fyansford, Geelong East, Geelong North, Geelong West, Hamlyn Heights, Herne Hill, Lara, Leopold, Manifold Heights, Moolap, Newcomb, Newtown, Norlane, North Shore, Rippleside, St Albans Park, Thomson and Whittington.
Area: 815 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 88 186 (at 9.10.04).
Industries: stevedoring, vehicle manufacturing plant and vehicle components, glass works, aluminium smelter, petroleum refinery, woollen mills, saltworks, dairy, poultry and mussel farming, fishing, wood chipping, wool scouring, fertiliser refining, tourism, tannery, carpet, clothing, shoes, chemical production and aeronautical services.
State electorates: Corio includes parts of the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorates of Bellarine, Geelong and Lara.