- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Corinella, Victoria, 1993.
- Re-elected following the 1994 electoral redistribution for Bruce, Victoria, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Ministerial appointments
- Minister for Veteran's Affairs from 3.12.07 to 14.9.10.
- Cabinet Secretary from 1.7.13 to 18.9.13.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister from 1.7.13 to 18.9.13.
- Minister for Defence Personnel from 1.4.10 to 14.9.10.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Publications from 26.5.93 to 31.8.98; Employment, Education and Training from 27.6.94 to 13.2.97; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 31.8.00 to 8.10.01; Economics, Finance and Public Administration from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Communications, Information Technology and the Arts from 2.12.04 to 25.5.06.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts from 12.5.93 to 1.1.98; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.1.98 to 9.8.99 and from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Corporations and Financial Services from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04 and from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 4.12.13 to 9.5.16.
- Joint Standing: Electoral Matters from 26.5.93 to 15.5.97, from 30.10.97 to 31.8.98, from 6.9.05 to 17.10.07 and from 25.10.10 to 9.5.16; Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 25.10.10 to 3.9.14 and from 10.2.15 to 9.5.16.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Health from 20.10.98 to 25.11.01; Parliamentary Secretary to the Leader of the Opposition from 25.11.01; Parliamentary Secretary to the Shadow Minister for Treasury, Finance and Small Business (Consumer Affairs and Banking Services) from 25.11.01 to 18.2.03.
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 18.2.03 to 3.12.07. Shadow Minister for Consumer Protection and Consumer Health from 18.2.03 to 8.12.03; Shadow Minister for Consumer Affairs and Shadow Minister Assisting the Shadow Minister for Health from 8.12.03 to 26.10.04; Shadow Minister for Sport and Recreation from 26.10.04 to 24.6.05; Shadow Minister for Veterans Affairs from 24.6.05 to 3.12.07; Shadow Special Minister of State from 24.6.05 to 3.12.07; and Shadow Minister for Defence Science and Personnel from 10.12.06 to 3.12.07.
- Party positions
- Member, ALP from 1979.
- Member, ALP State Administrative Committee (Vic) 1989-91 and 1993.
- Delegate, ALP State Conference (Vic) from 1984.
- Secretary, ALP Springvale South Branch 1990-93.
- Born 23.2.1960, Melbourne, Vic.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BA (ANU).
- Public servant 1984-85.
- Union organiser 1986 and 1988-89.
- Electorate secretary 1987-88 and 1989-90.
- Ministerial adviser to the Victorian State Minister for Community Services, the Hon. K Setches, MLA 1990-91.
- Ministerial adviser to the Hon. S Crean, MP 1991-93.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: eastern Melbourne; it includes the suburbs of Dandenong North, Glen Waverley, Mulgrave, Noble Park North, Wheelers Hill and parts of Clayton, Dandenong, Noble Park, Notting Hill and Springvale.
Area: 73 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 94 772 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: commercial activities including warehouse and light engineering.
State electorates: Bruce includes the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorate of Mulgrave, and parts of Clarinda, Dandenong, Forest Hill, Mt Waverley and Oakleigh.