- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Swan, Western Australia, 1996. Defeated at general elections 1998.
- Re-elected to the House of Representatives for Canning, Western Australia, 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Died 21.7.2015.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 4.3.14 to 21.7.15.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Communications, Transport and Microeconomic Reform from 29.5.96 to 31.8.98; Legal and Constitutional Affairs from 30.5.96 to 31.8.98; Industry and Resources from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Library from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Publications from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Employment and Workplace Relations from 19.8.02 to 31.8.04; Employment, Workplace Relations and Workforce Participation from 1.12.04 to 17.10.07; House from 9.2.06 to 17.10.07; Privileges from 9.2.06 to 17.10.07; Privileges and Members' Interests from 11.3.08 to 5.8.13; Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government from 10.11.08 to 19.7.10; Procedure from 4.12.13 to 21.7.15 (Chair from 11.2.14 to 21.7.15); Selection from 4.12.13 to 21.7.15.
- Joint Statutory: Native Title and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Land Account from 1.12.04 to 23.3.06.
- Joint Standing: Migration from 19.8.02 to 10.11.08 (Chair from 19.8.02 to 17.10.07); Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 4.12.13 to 21.7.15.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Shadow Parliamentary Secretary Assisting the Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Cabinet Secretary from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Energy and Resources from 22.9.08 to 10.11.08; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Roads and Transport from 10.11.08 to 14.9.10; Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Local Government from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party State Council (WA) 1992-94.
- President, Liberal Party Swan Division 1993-94.
- Member, Liberal Party State Executive (WA) 1993-94.
- Member, Membership Services Committee (WA) 1994-95.
- Proxy Delegate, Selection Committee (WA) 1994-95.
- Born 2.5.1953, Merredin, WA.
- Died 21.7.2015, Boddington, WA.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- DipT (Graylands Teachers College).
- Teachers' Higher Certificate (Centre for Further Education, Perth).
- Teacher 1974-93.
- Marketing consultant.
- Justice of the Peace.
- Local government service
- Councillor, Belmont City Council 1993-96.
- Chair, Planning and Development Committee, Belmont City Council.
- Chair, Belmont Community Recreation Association Management Committee.
- Committee Member, Belmont Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: south-eastern outskirts of Perth; it includes the centres of Armadale, Byford, Cardup, Dwellingup, Forrestdale, Halls Head, Jarrahdale, Kelmscott, Mandurah, Mundijong, North Dandalup, Oakford, Pinjarra, Ravenswood, Roleystone, Serpentine, Waroona, Westfield, Wungong and Yunderup.
Area: 6178 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 101 804 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: light industry, bauxite mining, stone and citrus fruits, beef and dairy farming, market gardens and forestry.
State electorates: Canning includes the Western Australian Legislative Assembly electorates of Armadale and Dawesville, and parts of Darling Range, Mandurah, Murray-Wellington and Wagin.