- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for La Trobe, Victoria, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1998 and 2001.
- Retired prior to general elections 2004.
- Parliamentary appointments
- Trustee, Parliamentary Retiring Allowances Trust from 24.6.96 to 11.8.04.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Employment, Education and Training from 16.5.90 (Chair from 30.5.96) to 22.10.97; Procedure from 14.9.92 to 8.2.93; Industry, Science and Technology from 12.5.93 to 29.1.96; House from 8.12.98 to 31.8.04; Members' Interests from 23.5.01 to 8.10.01.
- Joint Statutory: Public Accounts from 22.10.97 (Chair from 22.10.97) to 1.1.98; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.1.98 (Chair from 1.1.98) to 31.8.04.
- Joint Select: Republic Referendum from 2.6.99 to 9.8.99.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the Pacific, July 1993.
- Study tour, China, April 1999; USA, July-August 2000.
- Member, Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum, Canberra, January 2000.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Egypt, August-September 2002.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 25.9.94 to 11.3.96. Secretary to Shadow Cabinet from 25.9.94 to 11.3.96.
- Party positions
- Chair, Government Committee on Industrial Relations from 1996.
- Member, Government Committee on Treasury, Finance, Public Administration, Financial Services and Regulation from 1998.
- Member, Government Committee on Industry, Science, Resources, Sport and Tourism from 1998.
- Member, Government Committee on Employment, Workplace Relations, Small Business and Employment Services from 1998.
- Born 24.7.1936, Covington, Kentucky, USA.
- Died 17.4.2016.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- BSc(ME) (Purdue) .
- Fellow, Institution of Engineers Australia.
- Trainee, foreman, supervisor 1958-65.
- International Marketing Manager 1965-70.
- Managing Director, instrument company 1970-73.
- Chairman and Managing Director, construction company 1973-94.
Description: outer metropolitan.
Location: eastern outskirts of Melbourne covering the Dandenong Ranges; it includes the suburbs of Bayswater, Beaconsfield, Belgrave, Berwick, Boronia, Cockatoo, Emerald, Ferntree Gully, Gembrook, Narre Warren, Officer, Olinda, Sassafras and Upwey.
Area: 549 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 88 269 (at 10.11.01).
Industries: household products, car accessories and other light industries.
State electorates: La Trobe includes parts of the Victorian Legislative Assembly electorates of Bayswater, Berwick, Dandenong, Knox, Monbulk and Pakenham.