- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Paterson, New South Wales, 1996. Defeated at general elections 1998. Re-elected 2001, 2004, 2007, 2010 and 2013. Retired prior to general elections 2016.
- Parliamentary positions
- Member, Speaker's Panel from 16.11.04 to 7.2.06.
- Ministerial appointments
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry, Tourism and Resources from 27.1.06 to 3.12.07.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Industry from 18.9.13 to 23.12.14.
- Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for the Environment from 23.12.14 to 21.9.15.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Communications, Transport and Microeconomic Reform from 29.5.96 to 9.10.96; Communications, Information Technology and the Arts from 20.3.02 to 31.8.04; Industry, Science and Technology from 29.5.96 to 24.9.97; Primary Industries, Resources and Rural and Regional Affairs from 29.5.96 to 29.9.97; House from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Members' Interests from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Privileges from 1.12.04 to 9.2.06; Publications from 1.12.04 to 28.2.06.
- Joint Statutory: Broadcasting of Parliamentary Proceedings from 1.12.04 to 28.2.06; Public Accounts and Audit from 1.12.04 to 7.2.06 (Chair from 6.12.04 to 7.2.06) and from 11.3.08 to 25.9.08.
- Joint Standing: Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade from 18.6.96 to 31.8.98, 20.3.02 to 26.5.05, 11.3.08 to 19.7.10, and from 19.10.15; Treaties from 20.3.02 to 5.6.02.
- Parliamentary party positions
- Member, Opposition Shadow Ministry from 6.12.07 to 18.9.13. Shadow Minister for Defence, Science and Personnel from 6.12.07 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister Assisting the Shadow Minister for Defence from 6.12.07 to 22.9.08 and from 10.11.08 to 14.9.10; Shadow Minister for Regional Development from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13; Shadow Minister for Tourism from 14.9.10 to 18.9.13.
- Party positions
- Member, Liberal Party Karuah Branch.
- Born 9.3.1955, Gloucester, UK.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- Company director.
- Building investigations officer.
- Scuba diving instructor.
- Marketing manager.
- Management consultant.
Location: mid-north coast of New South Wales; it includes the towns include Anna Bay, Bulahdelah, Clarence Town, Dungog, Forster, Hawks Nest, Lemon Tree Passage, Medowie, Morpeth, Nelson Bay, Paterson, Raymond Terrace, Stroud, Tuncurry and parts of Nabiac, Thornton and East Maitland.
Area: 6652 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 97 107 (at 7.9.13).
Industries: timber, beef and dairy cattle, mixed farming, maize, sawmilling, fishing and oyster farming, tourism and general engineering.
State electorates: Paterson includes parts of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly electorates of Maitland, Myall Lakes, Port Stephens and Upper Hunter.