- Parliamentary service
- Elected to the House of Representatives for Hinkler, Queensland, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2004, 2007 and 2010. Retired prior to general elections 2013.
- Committee service
- House of Representatives Standing: Employment, Education and Training from 12.5.93 to 31.8.98; Transport, Communications and Infrastructure from 12.5.93 to 20.9.94; Communications, Transport and Microeconomic Reform from 29.5.96 (Chair from 21.10.97) to 31.8.98; Communications, Transport and the Arts from 8.12.98 (Chair from 10.12.98) to 8.10.01; Transport and Regional Services from 20.3.02 (Chair from 21.3.02) to 17.10.07; Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government from 11.3.08 to 19.7.10; Infrastructure and Communications from 25.10.10 to 5.8.13; Members' Interests from 29.5.96 to 17.10.07; Selection from 23.11.98 to 17.10.07 and from 9.2.12 to 13.3.12; Privileges from 8.12.98 to 8.10.01; Procedure from 1.12.04 to 31.5.05.
- Joint Standing: National Capital and External Territories from 26.6.96 to 19.7.10.
- Joint Select: Broadcasting Legislation from 14.3.13 to 24.6.13.
- Conferences, delegations and visits
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to New Zealand, August 2009.
- Parliamentary Adviser, United Nations General Assembly (UNGA), New York, September-December 2009.
- Commonwealth Parliamentary visit to UK, May 1996.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to France and Belgium, June-July 1997.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to the 6th Annual Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Parliamentary Forum, Seoul, January 1998.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to Japan and the Republic of Korea, December 2003.
- Member, Parliamentary Delegation to UK, Poland and Italy, June-July 2006.
- Parliamentary party positions
- National Party Whip from 23.10.98 to 11.10.03.
- Party Whip, The Nationals from 11.10.03 to 5.8.13.
- Party positions
- State President, Young Nationals (Qld) 1969-70.
- President, Vice-President and Secretary, National Party Wide Bay Division Council (mid 70s-mid 80s).
- Secretary, National Party Hinkler Division Council 1987-89; Vice-President 1984-86 and 1990-92.
- Chair, Bundaberg State Electorate Council.
- Chair, National Party State Tourism Committee (Qld) 1988 and 1989.
- Born 28.3.1940 at Warwick, Qld.
- Qualifications and occupation before entering Federal Parliament
- State Secretary, Arts Council of Australia (Qld) 1963-66.
- Theatre supervisor 1967-81.
- Manager, Bundaberg District Tourism and Development Board 1981-93.
- Councillor, Capricornia Institute of Advanced Education and University College of Central Queensland (now University of Central Queensland) 1988-91.
Location: southern central Queensland coast; it includes the centres of Bundaberg, Bargara, Burrum Heads, Childers and Hervey Bay.
Area: 3504 sq km (approx.).
Electors enrolled: 91 397 (at 21.8.10).
Industries: sugar, small crops (including tomatoes, avocados and macadamia nuts), rum, fishing, seafood industries and tourism.
State electorates: Hinkler includes the Queensland Legislative Assembly electorate of Bundaberg, and parts of Burnett, Hervey Bay and Maryborough.